Shaker End Table

Part 1: Mahogany Shaker End Table, the beginning

I hadn’t thought about blogging about this build until Smitty asked about it on LJs, so I figured why not. I volunteered to make this table for as a raffle prize for a non-profit organization’s convention later this summer. I have built...

Part 2: This is what I get for being cheap

Since I wasn’t planning on blogging this build, I don’t have any pics of me processing the wood. Before starting this build, I decided to finish rehabbing an old Bailey #4 1/2 I picked up a few years back. The bladed is pitted but it sharpened...

Part 3: Scary Sharp makes my day easier

I spent yesterday afternoon sharpening 7 planes in preparation for processing the wood for the top, apron and legs. I use water stones but I do have a Tormek that I have not used is many years. It had been so long that I forgot there was a...

Part 4: Leg Work and a WTF!?! I didn't just...yes I did

I continued on chopping the mortises in the second back leg. And then one mortise in each of the front legs. Next, I decided to use the Skew Rabbeting Plane to cut the tenons on the three aprons. The plans call for a tenon, 3/8"...

Part 5: Aprons Repaired and Completed

So the first thing I did was to repair the tenon mistake from several days ago. After the glue up, I continued cutting the tenons using the Skew Rabbetting Plane. Unfortunately, I found that the plane’s fence kept coming out of...

Part 6: Mortising Front Rails, easy does it now...

After a long layoff, I resumed work on the table by mortising in the front lower and upper rails. First I defined the shoulders and then I had to cut the rails to length, needed to take off 1/16th. Next was to mark out the lower rail...

Part 7: A Little Leg Work

First up was to cut away the necessary waste from the tenons on the two side aprons to accommodate the front rails, now onto the legs. The finished leg will only be 5/8" square at the bottom of each leg, so I marked out that square on the...

Part 8: Moving Right Along Now...

Last night after hand planing and sanding the legs and aprons, I glued up the two side panels. This morning I dry fitted the back apron and front rails to check for square, had to adjust the tenons on the back apron just a little. ...

Part 9: Legs, Meet Your Top

I cut down the table top and drawer front to size on the table saw. Then used the planer to thickness the Pine Board, I will be using for the drawer sides, back and bottom, to 1/2". Next, I hand planed down the upper and lower guide rails to...

Part 10: I couldn't wait...

I injured my thumb the other day and I didn’t think I would be able to work on the table for a while, but I just couldn’t wait so here goes… First thing was to cut the pine board to rough lengths I hand planed the long edges of the two...