Marquetry Jewellery Box

Part 1: A tribute to my mentors

It seems like only yesterday that I built my first chevalet from a few photos on the internet and began to try to figure out how to use it. Well it wasn’t yesterday and it wasn’t last year either. It was almost four years ago and while I did...

Part 2: Beginnings

I put a lot of thought into what the first project would be for my fine sawn veneer before I decided on this particular idea. I would have to say there was also a lot of “putting it off” involved but once the project had been chosen the next...

Part 3: Reality Check

This entry is a little on the philosophical side. It is about expectation and reality (one of which is quite easy to achieve). I guess that each of us is entitled to become good at something in our lives if we work hard and I can’t complain as...

Part 4: Sand Shading and Organization

With my colors mostly decided I went about cutting the pieces and dividing them into two groups. One group contained all the “universal” pieces. Those are the pieces that occur in all nine panels. The were assembled in one tray while the pieces...

Part 5: Drawer front marquetry assembly

With all the cutting and sand shading done and all the pieces properly organized, it’s time to have some fun. If you’ve done everything right up to this point, the assembly really is fun as you get to see the marquetry image materialize before...

Part 6: Drawers, Dowels, and Dovetails

I guess I missed the contest ……… by a few months …….. :-) Well all the colour decisions have been made and the flowers are glued in. The next job is to build a jewellery box to glue them onto. I have decided on Baltic Birch plywood for...

Part 7: Messing With a Master

My last entry here was almost a month ago and I was about to leave for Arizona for the winter. Well, I’ve been here (Az.) for almost a month now and I’m just getting around to the jewellery box. When I left off I had just dovetailed the drawers...

Part 8: Truing Up the Cantilevered Drawers

Now that I have the plan in place for the end marquetry there is a little housekeeping to be done with the drawers. The pull out ones in the centre column are straightforward and relatively easy so I have already glued the marquetry to them. The...

Part 9: Just Pretty Pictures

Once the drawer mechanics were sorted out to my satisfaction, I was able to apply the marquetry to the last six and get a first coat of shellac on them to protect the surface until finishing time. I was prepared for it but the beauty and colours...

Part 10: Ten days of cutting, but the end motifs are done.

With the design decided and the drawer front marquetry installed the time finally came to tackle the cutting of the end motifs. This is by far the most ambitious motif I have ever attempted and I can say in all honesty, I wasn’t all that sure I...