So, this project idea started a few months ago when I saw a version of this toolbox online:
First thought was “wow, what a nice design”. Second thought was “wow, they want $200 for what is probably a pretty easy project”.
Couple months went by and a friend of mine was having a birthday. I though that it would be a good time to build one of the toolboxes and play around a bit with the design.
As I went through the design and build, I realized that this was not either simple nor practical;
-the original design has a top that is either nailed or glued and allows for no wood movement
-the thin sides make it difficult to create a groove that allows for wood movement, and a shallow groove or rabbet for the bottom makes the whole box flimsy when carried by the handle, which is attached to the bottom only.
-the bottom appears to be a thin piece of wood that is either glued or nailed
This lead to me re-designing the top to be two shiplapped pieces and a bottom which is plywood, both for strength and stability. Overall, it is still impractical, I think if my friend really loads this up with tools the bottom will fail. I think if I was to build this again, I’d rabbet a 1/2" plywood bottom into the sides rather than the 1/4 I used.
Overall though was a fun project to build. Good practice hand cutting dovetails and fun to play with an established design.
Cherry and walnut with 4 coats of Minwax “tung oil”
Rob, Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario