These are pictures from my first kitchen project after installation. I couldn’t complete the install over the weekend because of one of several issues I ran into.
1st and biggest issue was that the walls were not square. The bottom measured 98" from wall to wall on both sides of the kitchen. I measured as high as I could reach during my initial measurements. I’m only 5-5, so that’s not nearly high enough. I should have brought a ladder and measured higher. The tops of the walls on one side came in at 97.75. The other side was 97.5. On the oven side, I was able to block plane enough off both edges of the face frame to make it fit, but that affected the door fitment. The other side, I just left off the middle two cabinets and brought them home with me. I’ll shave off .125 from each face frame, as well as the doors, then come back and install those next weekend.
2nd issue I ran into was that the moldings along the edge of the walls prevented the drawers from opening. I had to remove those moldings to make it work.
3rd issue, there is a double trash can pull out in the sink base. One of the pipes coming through the wall hits the back. He is going to have his plumber fix it when they come to do the sink. We cut a hole in the back of the trashcan holder so that the pullout could at least fully close.
About the cabinets:
The cabinets themselves are made of .75 prefinished maple ply for the everything but the backs. Backs are .5". Bottoms and tops are seated into dados, and the stretchers on the bases sit in rabbets. Everything is glued and screwed. He wanted to keep the costs down, so we plugged the holes and painted the visible sides instead of going with end panels. Face frames are painted poplar. Doors and drawer fronts were outsourced through Walzcraft. They came unfinished, and were painted in the shop to match his existing paint using a harbor freight hvlp sprayer.. They are maple with three inch stiles and rails, .5" thick reversed raise panel. He is also doing the pulls and knobs himself, again for cost savings. On the oven wall, we went from full depth cabinets, down to 13" depth cabinets. on the L. He insisted on having a lazy susan. The largest diameter I could fit due to the 13" depth was an 18" pie cut. So much wasted space, but its what he wanted…
What I’ve learned:
I’ve learned I need to be more detailed in my initial measurements, and too give myself a little more play along each wall, by making the face frames a little wider, and cutting them at a 45 so that fitment can be tuned easier with a block plane.
I also learned I need to account for those existing moldings, and plumbing better. The rest went fairly well. The fitment on the bases was spot on, and other than the few issues I mentioned, it went smoothly. I think I’ll factor in the cost of an installer and helper next time around, and let them do the installation.
Overall, the customer is very happy with the cabinets, and is okay with the fact that I couldn’t install everything over the weekend, even though I was disappointed.
Thanks for looking. Constructive criticism is welcome.
Wanted to add the pictures of the finished project. I wasn’t around when the counter top was put on, so the client texted me these.