After several hours fixing a car this morning I thought I’d start and get these nemesis curve top gates together.
So I got my jigsaw out and cut the pattern out and got that refined how I wanted it. I then transferred the pattern to my work piece and it was over to the bandsaw.
It was at this point things went down hill I had fitted a 6mm blade in the bandsaw as I was having issues with the 12mm that I had been using. Both blades had been used (not normally an issue) the 12mm was terrible would not track straight for love not money and no amount of messing with it would make it better. So I changed it for a 6mm and was suitable impressed that after a very fast tweak of the guides it cut the curves on stiles beautifully.
When I set too this morning however things were not so good the blade wandered like crazy and at one point started cutting at 90 degrees to the correct direction of cut this was brief how ever because just a few seconds later the blade jumped off with a bang as my top wheel is sprung loaded.
So at that point I was about to have a mental break down and set about checking the machine over and tearing down the guides for cleaning and repair. I flattened the two back blade guides on some 150 paper and cleaned all the rods with 240 paper cleaned the pitch away and lubricated everything with 3in1 oil. I also decided time had come to rectify some slightly suspect threads on adjuster screws so I found some torx head m8 set screws and drilled the m6 holes out and retapped them to M8 prior to loosely sitting the guides back on the saw.
With the guides back on I could fit a new 6mm blade and went through a full set up process on the now running beautifully guides with every thing set and adjusted I made a test cut the saw was quieter than it had been for a long time and cut exactly as I asked. So I cut out the top rail and finished with a few passes of a number 4 plane a spoke shave and a quick tickle with my bobbin sander and orbital.
With the top rail finally complete I got the gate set up the photos show my result. Tommorow i will clamp it up and flush up all the joints prior to marking up and drilling peg holes, brace mortices and board rebates this gate can then be diss assembled ready to have its final finishing work undertaken.
Dreaming of a sawmill, feels like a museum. Thanks for looking Adam.
- Part 50: Lay out deck required.
- Part 51: Getting it together