Project builds #59: Oak framed porch part two.

Once I’d scribed the first wall frame I set two cutting it out. It took about 5-6 hours to cut this first side. With it all reassembled I laid up the second frame over the top as I now had a level deck to work on. I moved the timber for the second wall frame into the grain store and didn’t touch it again for a while.

I now turned my attention to the king posts and cut the top joint with the rafters as I could lay it out over the first wall frame. With the two king posts fitting nice I turned my attention to the other wall frame and in the time that frame had been sat a Hitachi PSU 13 335mm circular saw appeared on eBay local so I went and brought that, with it and the chain Morticer cut out the entire of the second wall frame in under two hours.

I then laid out and cut the left hand side of the roof so the rafters and purlins were all fitted up for that side. It was my intention to cut the right side too at the same time but that never happened as the install time that had been delayed several times by the main contractor by this point had caught up with me.

We moved the lot to site in about 4 loads on my trailers and my van and farther in laws pick up. Once on site we assembled the two side frames and then added the interrupted tie beams this part was ready to raise now. This we did with help from two guys on site.

We then offered up a king post and one rafter just to check its final position. Then the bottom end of the king post was cut and ready to raise.

The ridge and braces were added to the king posts and then this part of the frame was fully raised and pegged in place.

The right hand side of the roof was now cut and a template for the birds mouth on the principal rafters was made. These were all marked up and cut.

We now lifted in the first rafter and my heart sank it didn’t fit and when it did fit it pulled the top of the king post over out of place. Argh I could have cried at that point and nearly did with only 5 days to go until the shop opened and the ramp being concreted the following morning it was a balls up of epic proportion. The king posts were 45mm to high. But bang on the drawing. This was my fault and I knew it I had wrecked £1200 worth of timber just like that.

Being skint as I was/am at the moment does wonderful things for ones thought processes especially when the pressures on. Up until this point my drawing had been spot on accurate so why the balls up now? I don’t use CAD never have and am still drawing by hand. I prefer working drawings of this scale on A1/A2 paper but my big board is not set up at present so A1 is off the table A2 is possible but because so many people needed a copy of this drawing I couldn’t use A2 so I drew it on A3 at a 1-50 scale. This is where the error occured I had not let the mid point of the rafter down far enough over the wall plate.

No what to do about it I’d pegged the ridge and the bottoms of the king posts and braces etc making these difficult to now remove. While I thought about it and while I worked out how to get the peg out the top of the rafter I lifted the rafter slightly with the loader this was my ureka moment. A piece of 100×45mm timber slipped under the birdsmouths ontop of the wall plate would cure all issues and put the rafter in the correct place for the drawing.

This was what I did and fixed well using 150mmx 6mm nails. The rafters were then bolted down using coach screws.

At this stage the purlins were added in and the construction was complete. We added a sprig of oak to the top of the frame and raised a beer to the frame as a traditional topping out celebration.

Unfortunately the site regs did not allow us to sit on the ridge and drink the beers but it was a well earned pint.

Timber framing is a direction I’m keen to investigate further but I won’t stop with making joinery either as I think that is good bread and butter work. How ever after the hassles with the timber suppliers I’m more keen than ever to run my own saw mill.

Tags: professional woodworking green oak

Dreaming of a sawmill, feels like a museum. Thanks for looking Adam.

View all parts of Project builds »

200 views

2 0
Share Tweet
Follow

2 Comments

Madts ...

I am glad to see that you had some large toys to help with the installation.

—Madts.

Whitacrebespoke ...

Seriously big toys glad we did would have been stuck with out. Have done lots of jobs manually but that is one I’d not have managed with out toys. Was glad of a miss spent youth on farms to as an proficient at driving this type of materials handler and have the correct tickets too.