Project builds #67: Sash windows coming together

So I’ve had a couple of steady days at the sashes and have lights for one window done and glued up in clamps and the other pair machined up apart from the glazing bars. I started with the narrower window as it only has one vertical and one horizontal bar in each light (less timber to wreck while I get my eye back in).

The moulding in these is an Ovolo moulding with a small quirk and is actually a nice moulding. All the better for being produced with a standard router cutter that I already had. They were the scribed over where they meet the other parts with mouldings on them. This I have replicated and thankfully I have two sets of scribe cutters that match this moulding for different size reveals. I will order two more sets soon one for a smaller reveal (to match the 16mm glazing bars like I’m currently using) the other to match a knife edge moulding I will have to replicate on some windows in the coming months.

I can safely say I’m sold on the sash window (I’ve always liked their beauty but now appreciate the simplicity too). This is one line of work I’m glad to have and will continue to actively push this side of the business.

So with the Tennoer set I have run out all the main components then assembled the outer frames before measuring for bars then machining the tenons in the square sections. Any hand cut tenons were then cut at this stage before the bars were shaped and the windows dry fitted tweaked and then assembled.

The glass rebate in the meeting rail of the bottom light always has to be in a groove as the meeting rails form the seal in the centre of the two lights so must fit tight. I use a 6mm 1/4 inch groove for this. This time I used a Stanley combination plane I’ve picked up over the years as the side nickers are far better than my usual record. So fully set up and sharpened I ploughed my groove I will say at this point that the nickers are funny things and take fine setting other wise the plane will follow the grain and skid all over the place. Disaster averted and plane well set I ploughed the grooves with only some superficial marks to remove later.

These windows had wedged glazing bars a feature I’ve replicated with the new ones as I want them to be as accurate as possible.

Now to do the other windows and then glaze, prime and fit them.

Tags: professional woodworking sash windows douglas fir

Dreaming of a sawmill, feels like a museum. Thanks for looking Adam.

View all parts of Project builds »

66 views

1 0
Share Tweet
Follow

1 Comment

oldrivers ...

Looking Good!