Timber frame barn conversion #2: Another day some more done.

We are slowly getting through the mountain of repairs required on this timber frame. A lot of previous repairs have been done with some sort of soft wood possibly a spruce or Scots pine and it’s not stood up all that well. Theres some pieces that have a pink heart that are sound so I think they are larch or Douglas fir.

Today the bricklayers we’re back to put the piers in the right place for the front posts so lots of time spent marking out for them.

Between the torrential rain show

ers I managed to get the scarf joints cut on the rear wall plate so that is that section complete. Although there is a couple of other places that need repairs now.

I also had time to finish the short piece of wall plate on the end near the new block workgable. This end is going to give me issues I can see. the original tying timber that was built into the original wall and dovetailed into the wall plates has been hacked out by previous people. All that was holding the plates in place was a thin piece of pressed out steel. So two new galvanised steel straps will be nailed to the timbers and bolted to the blockwork with rawl bolts. The purlins have also been strapped down to prevent them lifting in the wind. On the back side the cement mortar has been removed from around the timber and replaced with lime mortar thus giving a breathable surround to the timber.

Tags: professional woodworking timber frame

Dreaming of a sawmill, feels like a museum. Thanks for looking Adam.

View all parts of Timber frame barn conversion »

342 views

13 0
Share Tweet
Follow

13 Comments

oldrivers ...

This is a big job. It is quiet a task erecting and flooring the scaffold platforms. You have some good looking and very strong framing joints I can see.

lightweightladylefty ...

It looks like you are doing a fine job on an extremely difficult task.

L/W

Whitacrebespoke ...

In the U.K. we have to have scaffolding done by trained professionals now (if professional can be applied to scaffolders). It’s a bloody rip off too. One guy wanted £2500 for the deck the other over £1000. Client naturally went with the cheapest and some of the boards are very sketchy. There was no way I was taking on the rebuild with out the deck in place though. I didn’t add many terms to the job but this was the one I was not moving on it’s the only safe way to work on a job like this.

It is a big job that has been made harder by idiots in prior to us. Slowly we are getting back to where it should have been when we started. Still lots of cement to get hacked out and replaced with lime and were kind of twiddling or thumbs now awaiting more timber.

This is going to be the kind of job that makes or breaks my business if I can pull it off I think I will have cemented my credentials in the period property market.

Whitacrebespoke ...

I will also say the timber were currently utilising is the timber that was used by the first person to work on this frame. It was £2000 worth and the guy has made such a mess that I am not prepared to recut the joints as my original plan was to do it’s just not feasible to get a good result. So it’s all going back in the frame as repair stock. Hence the wall plate in 3 pieces.

Wheaties - Bruce A Wheatcroft ( BAW Woodworking) ...

Quite a project , keep up the good work .

Brian ...

Maybe a dumb question, but it’s any of this work visible after completion? If not, why not just go with steel spandrels?

Pretty amazing work, though.

Whitacrebespoke ...

Some will be visible. External will be all visible and most of the timber will be visible inside. Steel give me two headaches, first it under U.K. building regs it would need to be engineered to meet fire regs as it would be “new”. Also this building is in the curtalidge of a listed building so repairs need to be done to English heritage standards hence letting in new timber so the building is still historically correct before it’s conversion. I’m chasing down the repairs now and very nearly there ready to start putting in the new gable end frame and the front extension

Whitacrebespoke ...

That should say the wall plate will be visible externally.

oldrivers ...

You are doing well. I know major jobs like this can be tough to stay with. we sometimes become weary and sort of burn out but diligence pays off in the long run and tempers for the next challenge.

Whitacrebespoke ...

I burnt out totally after three weeks of long hours and massive problems I did 3 hours on Friday for first time in 14 days. Then have done 8.5 today and just leaving site it’s about 7.30pm here in U.K. it’s getting more up towards I’m replacing more than I remove now every day. There will be a real splurge of activity this week as I begin to replace front wall plate and every day this week there will be more stood back on proper posts and less on acro props.

Brian ...

Very cool. Thanks for the update. Sounds like it’s turning the corner.

Whitacrebespoke ...

Brian I really need to write a new blog entry and twice have started but fallen asleep waiting for the pictures to upload and as my phone has gone flat before I woke up twice I’ve lost it.

Brian ...

Haha! That was me this weekend. Fishing from 3am to 9am, them working in the yard the rest is the day. I didn’t want to go to work yesterday. But they were both worth the effort. Now I have to get back into woodworking mode. I have to build new gates and believe me, you’ve been a big inspiration for them. I’ll post a blog when I start.