So with work on the barn having ground to a very painful holt both in terms of what can be done and financially I’ve turned my attention to other things, the four panel doors I posted in creations the other day and a cladding job have all been underway.
The cladding is at a visitor attraction I do a lot of work at, an open farm and is on their main entrance building.
Wanting something different from the current fashion here in the U.K. (either cedar T&G or larch/oak waney edge) I suggested they went with a feather edge style larch cladding board. This was agreed to and the larch ordered. The client then asked if it could be stained, this was something I was not prepared to do having had issues with spirit stains on small areas let alone on whole buildings. I suggested the burning of the boards and the client looked on the internet and I was met with a very resounding yes to burning the boards.
I looked at this job initially in January with a view to doing the job in the autumn due to my work load. Initially I had a lot less to do than has actually been done and the client has changed their mind on things so much (like removing a door way after we had clad up to one side of it and other such things that the finish has for me been spoilt. This kind of job does not come up often here in the U.K. and the mill the timber came from are not the greatest so we have had lots of issues with the boards. Including having big curves on the ends. In future if I do any more (there’s a chance to do two much larger building on this site in the same material) I would get the big stenner resaw running and buy in 7×1.5 boards and only rip enough cladding that I need for a day or twos work as the longer the boards sit the more the faults exaggerate.
So how did we do the job? Well while my father in law set too charring the boards with a propane roofing torch I started fitting 50×50 treated battens to the block work using plugless concrete screws. Once all the boards were burnt (two full days). I had battened out both sides of the building. We then added the rodent mesh to the base and a strip to kick the first board out then cracked on to sticking the boards on using a first fix paslode im350 and stainless steel nails.
Just now to fit the fascias and door Trims and the end caps and it’s done for now.
Dreaming of a sawmill, feels like a museum. Thanks for looking Adam.
- Part 68: Sometimes I really should keep my mouth shut.
- Part 69: Charred larch Cladding
- Part 70: Little barn truss and purlins.