Blogs 142 results

Work Bench Build #14: Glue Up and Final Assembly

Well this is the day, the final assembly of the legs, the stretchers, and the bench top. We held a quick briefing and took note of the time. The glue was not diluted so we had about 40 minutes until things would start to get difficult. The crew...

The Woodworking Shows & My experience at Milwaukee, WI

Today I went to the woodworking Shows in Milwaukee, WI. They were packed so I’d say it was a great day for the show. I stopped at the Lee Valley booth and bought a new digital dial caliper that does fraction and thousandth of an inch. Had my...

Hide Glue Primer #3: Hammer Veneering

I built a new sliding hatch for Friendship last year to replace the $136 piece of medium bronze acrylic that I sat on the while setting up some rigging…. Crack !!!…. This time I cold molded a curved panel from 3 layers of 1/8” cedar on opposing...

Picnic Table #7: Finishing Up

At the end of blog #6 we left off with the top done. Here is the top with a couple of coats of spar urethane. I looked at many finish for outdoor and read many review and posts. I looked at Cabot timber oil and Epifane that keep popping up....

Marocan Pattern Build #2: Glue Up

In part one of this blog I went through making the stock of the pattern and sliced it into squares. This blog is the glue up of the pattern Hide glue was the best For this glue up due to the number of pieces and the difficulties I would face...

Better Late Than Never Clamp Rack

I had a few hours to play today while waiting on a couple deliveries to the house. I built an actual rack for my clamps instead of the 2×6 nailed to an existing shelf. I wanted to use up some plywood scraps and build a couple tiers for various...

mesa boogie amp head #6: Assembly and sanding

Got a little progress on this thing. My time had been taken up a lot with the baby and projects for my wife, so this is going pretty slow but you gotta do what you gotta do. Here’s a pic after assembly and sanding. I washed it with mineral...

Interior door making #7: 8 done, 9,10 constructed

Number 8 of 12 is done. Painted and installed. This one is 18" and goes to the attic. Picked up the lumber for 9 and 10 last night after trick or treating. I need a roof rack or something. My new car is a ford focus and it was all I could do...

Clamp Storage

This is the system I came up with to store my clamps many years ago and I still find it quite convenient. It is cheap, quick and easy to make from scrap with a drill and bandsaw and it is compact enough to be space saving, especially for the...

My Roubo Bench Journey #30: Glue Up and Assembly

I finished prepping the stretchers yesterday for draw boring the joints. I also made some shims out of Bubinga, and cut the pegs to length. I set out the legs and stretchers ready to be glued up. Two of my neighbors came by to...