Blogs 35 results

My Workbench - My Best Workshop Buddy

Outfeed workbench – under $150 I had hoped to keep this bench under $100 but I think maybe I’m just too frugal (spelled c-h-e-a-p)! The main portion of the cabinet is made from lab cabinets we picked up from UW surplus sales. Across the...

Workshop Tour

It seems that workshop postings have slowed down considerably since Steve posted his. I can’t compete with his, but I’ll show (parts of) our workshop anyway. The main portion of our shop is on the lower level. I chose to utilize the space...

Completing a project before starting another one

No matter how long it takes me to complete a project, I finish it before starting another one. Sometimes life gets in the way. Being a mom of 4, studying, and a hubby that works away from home at long stretches, makes it difficult to complete...

Backyard bling

Just getting around to this now. I made my bling a couple of months ago. Been busy out of the shop since then. First up is some stars made from fence pickets I recycled. Creation here:...

Workshop safety #1: Workshop fire -- averted . . . and a "whuf" question

In the process of making a jig, I routed a dado for T-track in recycled plywood. Since my trim router was already set up with a ¾” straight bit, I used it – making four shallow passes 9” long and a total depth of 3/8”. After each pass I...

JIGS #1: Jig for corner keys

Since this seems to be the week for jigs, here’s one I made recently for corner keys in boxes and frames. There’s nothing fancy about it but it does work quite well. I used some recycled materials and wasn’t all that precise but it does the...

Morris chair restoration #2: The frame

The wooden frame was much worse than I had realized. Boards had been nailed to the bottom to keep the springs from falling through. The burlap was recycled from a Burlington, Wisconsin Murphy Products feed sack which still had a portion of the...

Picnic Table #2: Building the Form

In keeping with my pledge to only use leftover and recycled material, I decided not to buy the construction plywood to make the form but to use some saved MDF IKEA closet from the days I had the apartment. That decision will prove to be costly… ...

FANTASY MARQUETRY #8: Working through the unexpected problems

My cutting didn’t go so well today. I experienced the same problem with the pattern lifting off the packet as I cut. I finally figured out that it was because I had used a recycled cabinet backing for the packet and it was lacquered, preventing...

Morris chair restoration #3: The back cushion

I removed the mid-20th-century gray marble vinyl to reveal more of the chair’s history. The top cushion’s original upholstery which was under the gray marble vinyl appeared to be an early attempt at Naugahyde – almost like a painted coating...