Looking for a specialty plane

1043 views and 1 favorite in

I am building a couple of children’s rockers from scratch, I saw somewhere the tools I needed but cannot locate where I saw the items listed to make the seat indentation. There was several listed but I cannot remember what they were called or where I can buy them. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

-- Robert Buckley

10 Replies

Robert I have made a few chairs, stools and a love seat using a Holey Galahad scooping disc which you attach to a grinder. They have holes around the outer edge so you can see what and how much is being taken off. I got mine at Woodcraft but you might find them online for a lesser price.

-- Jack

Lee Valley has the hand held chair scoops you’re looking for. However, I personally do the exact same thing jack does. I have the same cutters but a Craftsman grinder. Lol its much faster and as Jack said you can see what you’re doing.

-- Jeff Vandenberg aka "Woodsconsin"

Thank you for your rapid response, I’ll look them up online and see if I can find them, not listed in the catalogs I have.

-- Robert Buckley

-- CHRIS, Charlottetown PEI Canada. Anytime you can repurpose, reuse, or recycle, everyone wins!


Arbortech might have something your looking for. They have a turbo plane that you can dish out wood with. Or the mini grinder

-- Jeff Vandenberg aka "Woodsconsin"