I don’t know if this is gloatworthy, but I bought a Jet JMI 1014 off craigslist for $275.00.
- A set of (eight) “Benjamin’s Best” knives $100.00
- Two old knives, just because, and value unknown.
- A few turning kits for pen, etc $30.00
- Step chuck $107.00
- Pen turning mandrel $27.00
- Poly carbonate face shield
Add to the foregoing a stack of wood, including some zebra or similar wood. Enough for a few [or several] hundred blanks, if cut on the band saw.
Add to that, the live center I bought to turn, using my drill, fits it perfectly.
I’ve never even touched a lathe before, so this would make a great starter, I suspect. Too, it’ll allow me to quit beating up my drill press for those occasional turning jobs I have to do.